Sunday 2 September 2012

Lou Reed - Transformer

I am not new to this album. It is familiar to me. Especially because of the several occasions when I've been reclined in the park listening to 'Perfect Day'. (Not the Trainspotting version.) There's not a lot I can say about it except that it has fond memories. It is interesting the many ways that new music can be discovered. In my most desperate hours it is not out of the question for me to switch on either of my three radio channels of choice (Radio 6, Sheffield Live, Radio 3) and avidly scribble down the names as I hear them. But for me it's those heart strings that contain the best musical memory for me. It's the reason I only occasionally listen to Radiohead, and why I can never listen to Fleetwood Mac -- see last Tuesday's entry for further details. I suppose what I'm talking about touches upon other things like music psychology. It's something I could spend years talking about; indeed there are some people who have and still are devoting much time into learning more about it. Just read 'Musicophilia' by Oliver Sachs. For me music, especially re-treading areas of music heard previously at some point in the past - unleashes small yet pivotal memories and meanings. Like when you're in between two frames of mind but as yet undecided as to which party you should belong with. Everyone has that moment when you are watching Doctor Who and your friends decide that they are going to the pub but you've lost the ability to move until you know whether the dalek is catching up. Obviously I wouldn't be listening to the radio at the same time as watching Doctor Who, that would be excessive, but that is sort of thing that certain songs remind me of. Not the action, but the gradual process that lead to the point of he action.

No comments:

Post a Comment